Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Somewhere In Between

I sit. I wait. I wonder. I remember. I ache.

I left Huancayo last night. I had my final day at Aldea on friday, though could not stay away. I went back on Sunday just to see the kids one more time. The faces. The tears. The memories. The images of Sandy and Elizabeth holding one arm each refusing to let go. Repeating, "Please. Please don't go". The last photos with the house i have become attached to. The song they sung for me. The gatekeeper who after explaining to the children everything would be ok broke into tears. Although last night was special, it was hard. I could not stop thinking that i get to go home and see my family, but they don't. That i will soon be settling back into life as it is comfortable, though these kids know nothing other than the life they now live. And suddenly i felt horrible for leaving. Regardless of what i am leaving them with, is it enough? All i know is that reality has not hit. I hope it never does.
The football tournament on Saturday went off greatly. Was so much fun marching in the parade, with some of the kids watching and supporting us. We as a team came second in that area, and won a case of beer, which was almost consumed before our first game- which we won 5-2. The funny thing was that a friend of mine (an older white fella Paul) said to our team before kick off, ´2 beers for each goal´. After i scored my third i looked over to him and grinned a little. He winced back a lot... after all these are big beers. We won our following game, and the one after it before i realised we had made the final, and in fact had been competing in a knock out tournament throughout the day. We played a team incredible in the final, who i had been admiring all day. Even though we didnt quite get the desired result in that game, we were jumped on and congratulated by our supporters post game, who we stayed around drinking with for a couple of hours after. Was a nice way to remember my last full day in HYO.
Now i sit in Lima. I leave on thursday morning to hit up the coast. Wednesday night i am going to see Peru vs Argentina in a world cup qualifying game. Wetting my lips already. Cant hardly wait.
I touch down in Aussie soon. This inbetween stage is tough though. I have said goodbye to all my friends in HYO, and am still yet to say hello to those back home. What of now? I guess time will tell...

No comments: