Thursday, June 26, 2008

Don´t Even Know Where To Start...or Continue.

Hola!
I had my first day at the orphanage today which was an experience, as well everything else here. Well, before i give you the wrong impression, let me explain some things so you dont hold a prejudice against the people in Huancayo.

They drive on the wrong side of the road here. Well, obviously by ''wrong side'' i mean for me. Being here had made me realise how much i liked things being in a particular way. How i had believed certain things were universal absolutes, but in fact arent. Like choosing a lane and sticking to it...there are no lanes here, just a mass of honking and yelling as taxis and buses almost collide in every direction i look. Like having toilet paper in the bathroom... which is simply not the case here. You carry your toilet paper with you in the off chance you need to use one, either at someones house, or in public (which you get charged for). Like having refridgerators. Nothing is served cold here. Like drinking water that flows from taps. The water must be boiled, and regarding the last point, sits for hours until it reaches room temperature. Something the locals do not have to worry about as their bodies are able to digest the water. I havent had a cold beer, let alone drink since being here.

I hope i dont sound like i am whinging, because i am not. I am loving Peru, and all that it offers. I am loving the customs, the way of life, and most of all the kids that i met today.

During my orientation, which was really just a chat over ice cream in a local cafe i was told the kids at the orphanage were there because their parents had died of AIDS. Being naive or not, i thought nothing of it (terrible as it may be) as i am here for the children. When i arrived at the orphanage the kids immediately opened up. Almost to the stage that within an hour i had 4 girls under the age of 5 fighting for my attention. I tried all day to communicate with them, but its hard. They dont get the concept that i cannot speak my language, and continue speaking to me at a pace too fast for my understanding at this point. They are lovely children though. Not much to play with, so i hope they enjoy the things i have brought over for them to make use of. A lot of the time they just wanted to be picked up and held. I now sit in the internet cafe covered in dry snot all over my clothes. I love it. It wasnt until i got home from the orphange that i was told it wasnt just the parents that had AIDS, but all the children have HIV as well. Honestly, i was taken back at first, as anyone from a 1st world nation would be, but now...it just makes me want to love them even more.

(Second last paragraph, i promise!) It was at about 11am this morning that i started getting stomach cramps, and feeling light headed. I asked a fellow volunteer at the orphange to show me somewhere i could lie down, so they took me half way, asked me to wait where i was, and continued on to ask the workers there. Once she had gone i had to sit down. The finger tingles i have been experiencing since i got here took on a whole new level, and i couldnt even make up which way was up, and which way was down. Eventually i was taken to a bed, something strong scented was put under my nose which almost knocked me out, and i took on cold sweats and began shivering. Soon after, felt as right as rain, and went back out to the children. In case you didnt know, we are 3,300m above sea level.

So thats it! Thanks for the read. I do read all comments here, and facebook mails and comments, and emails, so please keep writing. Im sorry i cant apologise individually, but i hope you enjoyed reading whats going on in my world right now. Tell me about yours...

4 comments:

miriam said...

Hey Phil, I enjoyed reading your blog. I remember kids were the hardest to understand when I was in argentina. I probably should have mentioned the toilet paper thing to you, and cars and lack of lanes and much much more. I'm sure you'l be discovering it all! Sounds like you've had a good start so far. Wow, thats pretty high up. Do they have coca leaves there?

Aled said...

Hi Phil, pleased to hear that you've arrived safely. Are you ok physically now? bit worrying to hear of your shivering, shaking, stuff. Great to see the photos...love those kids as much as you can...don't believe the lie that's its not worth t because you're only there for a short space of time, do it anyway...God will replenish all you give out. one day at a time...take care mate!

Unknown said...

Phil!

Mike & Laura here. Awesome to hear the beginnings of your trip, sounds like there's a nice balance of good stuff and challenges. Keep blogging, we'll keep reading :)

We're up in Gisborne at the moe. We've been up here for three nights, going home this afternoon. Not quite as exciting as Peru, I know...

Anyway, take it easy and enjoy it all!

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil, sounds like an amazing adventure. If I wasn't on a grand adventure myself I would be feeling a little jealous. BTW you’re a great blogger. So much so that I took the effort to sign up to this thing just to tell you so! I especially like your blog headline "Phils Udders" ha-ha very funny! Ali x