Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I dont quite know how i made it...

17 hour flight, one long day, and a whole bunch of excitement saw me touch down in Lima, Peru. The trajedy of both flights was immeditately overcast by the mass of taxi drivers wanting me to make use of their services. When i say mass, i litterally mean 15-20 men that came storming up, and surrounded me. Before i knew it i had walked straight past my pick up point without even knowing it. So i wandered around, not quite sure what to make of this foreign environment for around an hour. It was then i saw a small lady near the front exit holding a sign that read "Philliph Riburn"... I blamed the spelling for the confusion. Im now staying in her house, and we are about to "drink breakfast" (!!!) A selection of milk, OJ, water, and yoghurt to start the day.

As for the flights...
Auckland-Buenos Aires.
Started well enough, though the seating arrangement eventuated to be quite a test. Infront, a crying baby. To my left, a mother flying solo with two young children, maxxie closest to me, a 4 year old boy that was more fluent in both english and spanish than i ever hope to be, and he certainly loved to remind me of it. When He would sleep, across ways on the seat, legs against mine, he seemed to live through his dreams a little too much- kicking me on the odd occasion i started dosing. Behind me? A middle aged man who must have had diabetes, or some gastrointestinal problem, because ever five minutes he would be yanking on my chair to hoist himself out of his seat. To my right, and my only source of freedom, an aisle- which i made much use of during the 11 hour first leg.

The exciting thing is how quickly i am picking up the language. I was feeling full of confidence when i got off the plane in Argentina, and walked right up to a security officer. "¿Donde de baƱo?" i asked him. (Where is the bathroom?) His reply seemed to leave his mouth in a complete jumble, so i simple smiled, thanked him and walked off, having no idea where the bathroom in fact was.

The flight into Lima was ok. 5 hours with no TV, movies, music or the like. The lady beside me spoke no english, a small lady of traditional peruvian appearance, and she never seemed to get the point that i speak very little spanish. Still, im getting by.

Apologises for the length of this blog post. It being my first, actually having gone some where i thought you could excuse it. Just wanted to pass on a huge thank you to all the plane letter writers, farewell attenders, brownier bakers, cookie creaters, well wishers, and prayer givers. Your love has made the transition a whole lot easier.

Anywho, before i get carried away, i shall head. I leave Lima this afternoon to Huancayo, my intended destination, on a 6 hour bus trip into the heart of the Andes.

Hasta la pronto!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you're safe :)
and was the aerolineas argentinas a 5/10? cos mate mine was indeed a luxury liner! :p
que?
no se!
:p hasta luego
xo

Anonymous said...

yay you made it! have you found your wife yet?
oh so i got to see sydney. i had a 12 hour delay, and then a cacelation so had to stay over. i must say all that i saw of sydney was nice.... well the hotel.